Q&A: How do I get rid of algae in my garden pond?

| May 27, 2014 | 5 Comments

Question by vince.lemma: How do I get rid of algae in my garden pond?
Hi, I have a garden pong that contains about 3400 gallons of water and is 5 feet deep at its deepest point and has uneven depths. I have a pump that has a flow rate of about 3500 gallons per hour and some plants line a lilly pad and ferns around the pond. It is exposed in full sunlight for about 4 ours, the rest of the time its in shade. I wanted to put in a water turtle, but am scared of the excessive algae. Can anyone help. Don’t want to add chemical products that will be harmful to fauna. Thanks all !

Best answer:

Answer by Skoota
Try snails they worked in my fish tank (though they may get out)

Give your answer to this question below!


Tags: , ,

Category: Questions

Author (Author Profile)

Comments (5)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. pondlady says:

    A turtle can eat your plants and eat them fast, thereby destroying your eco-balance. I think I would forego the turtle. Your algae fears would come true.

  2. stretch says:


    There are chemical solutions available that you can pour into the pond to get rid of the algae. Now, 4 hours per day of sunlight is too much for your pond. It is the sunlight that is producing the algae that you are trying to eliminate. Not sure if certain plants or creatures can help keep the algae growth down.

  3. crossstitchkelly says:

    There is a chemical that is not harmful to fish or wildlife called copper sulphate. My parents have a stocked 1 acre pond and they’ve used it for years with no effects on the fish or anything surrounding the pond. Check the label to be sure, though.

  4. wheelieman says:

    try some organic barley stay you can buy from pet stores

  5. LucySD says:

    You have several options, one is to keep a piece of shade cloth over the pond (like nurseries do) up high and prevent the sun from hitting the pond and it also helps to keep the water cooler.
    Link for shade cloth
    Barley products
    Ultra Violet Clarifiers & UV-Sterilizers
    UV-Clarifiers are used to kill algae along with some disease organisms. The water flows through UV-Clarifiers faster than the UV-Sterilizers. UV-Sterilizers kill 99% of floating algae as well as other living organisms. They do not harm the beneficial bacteria that grow in filters and on rocks, etc. in the pond. They kill the organisms that are floating in the pond water.
    Sun is causing the problem
    Open pages of URL’s to see why you need one.
    Size and type of organism: Theoretically UV radiation can kill viruses, bacteria, algae, and protozoa. In general, larger organisms, such as protozoa, require a higher dose of UV radiation than smaller organisms, such as bacteria. But there are also differences between various organisms of the same type: some bacteria are more resistant to UV radiation than others.
    You probably need at least the 14 watt size.
    14 watt w/ SS Insert 3,900 gallons

    I use 2 fish mate UV/Bio filters 24watt combined. I made my pond larger and had to have more wattage. It keeps your water crystal clear and you can see the pebbles on the bottom.
    Right now mine is ecologically perfect so I’m not using it. My water lillies keep the sun off the water and the water temperatures cooler for the koi. I also have an aerator which help to provide the extra oxygen the Koi need and helps with algae control.
    The very best thing is to reasearch the problem and then find the best solution.
    Never take an answer that doesn’t offer validation .
    Research online for the best prices available.
    EDITED:Pond-Zyme Plus Pond Cleaner
    You just cant beat this stuff
    Heavy Duty Pond Cleaner. Specially selected bacterial strains in Pond-Zyme Plus Pond Cleaner immediately begin breaking down fish waste and dead algae that cause cloudy water, sludge build-up, and debris that clogs pumps and filters. Through enzymatic action, Pond Zyme Plus reduces pond maintenance and keeps water clean and clear. 100%-natural. Safe for fish, plants and wildlife. Treats up to 16,000 gallons
    EDITED AGAIN:Copper sulfate can kill the fish if you don’t know how to use it with out first testing the PH levels.
    I’m surprised the ***only person that is intelluctually superior*** to the rest of us that answered ***
    didn’t bother to tell you.

Say Something